When it comes to your body getting enough of this vital nutrient, just 15 minutes soaking up the sun (without sunscreen) every day will increase your vitamin D production. And, on days when the sun isn’t shining, one serving of Reliv Now® or Reliv Classic® contains 400 IU, which is 100% of your recommended daily value. One scoop daily of Reliv Now® for Kids contains 50% of the recommended daily value for children.
In other words, vitamin D and Reliv go hand in hand for your overall health.
Putting it in Perspective
Twenty to thirty minutes of sun exposure each day produces approximately 10,000 IU of vitamin D in the skin. Kids and those with darker skin will need more sun than this. In comparison, drinking 6-8 ounces of pasteurized milk gives your body only 100 IU.
Vitamin D Facts
When you think of vitamin D do you think of drinking milk and building strong bones? What about taking your daily dose of vitamins?
The truth is, “Vitamin” D is not actually a vitamin. It’s a substance within your body that gets changed into a vitamin, or pre-vitamin, when you absorb the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) B rays.
And, contrary to popular belief, milk is not the best source for it nor is taking vitamin D just for making strong bones. Its many other health benefits are related to cardiovascular disease, estrogen excess, brain cell growth and the inflammatory immune response. Vitamin D’s major role is to regulate calcium and store it in your bones.
Shedding Light on the Subject
Results from a clinical review published in The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association found nearly 1 billion people worldwide may have deficient or insufficient levels of vitamin D due to chronic disease and inadequate sun exposure related to sunscreen use.
In the U.S. alone, more than 50% of people have insufficient levels of vitamin D. This can lead to a host of health problems including high blood pressure, heart disease, weak bones, autoimmune diseases, cancer and even the flu.
With D deficiency on the rise, governmental experts are reviewing the latest research with an eye toward upping the recommended daily intake of vitamin D for all ages.
Fortunate for you—taking your Reliv and even doing your Fit3™ workouts in the summer sun increases your chance to freely shore up your supply of proper vitamin D dosages.
Beat the Heat
The sun is your best source of vitamin D, spending hours in its’ ultraviolet (UV) radiation can increase your risk of skin cancer. So seeking a balanced combination of Fit3 fun in the sun, Reliv supplements, and nutritious foods is wise.
7 Signs of Vitamin D Deficiency
- You have darker skin. Those with darker skin may need as much as 10 times more sun exposure to produce the same amount of vitamin D as a fair-skinned person.
- You feel “blue”. Serotonin, the mood elevator hormone, rises with increased exposure to the sun.
- You are 50+. As we age our skin doesn’t make as much vitamin D in response to sun exposure.
- You are overweight. Vitamin D is fat soluble so it collects in fat cells. If you are overweight you are likely to need more vitamin D than a slimmer person.
- Your bones ache. Many who see their doctor for body aches and pains, accompanied by fatigue, may be diagnosed with fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. For some, studies have found that when tested for vitamin D deficiency and treated with larger doses of vitamin D, their symptoms have resolved.
- Head sweating. This is one of the classic signs of vitamin D deficiency.
- You have gut problems. If your body lacks the ability to absorb fat properly, you may have a lower absorption of vitamin D as well. This may be true for conditions such as Crohn’s, celiac, and inflammatory bowel diseases.
Thank you Reliv for another great article.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Reliv products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.